Cancellation, Withdrawal, Schedule Adjustment & Other Policies
Cancellation and Withdrawal
Failure to attend class does not result in automatic cancellation. In addition, non-payment should not be used as a means for dropping a course or cancelling registration. Students are ultimately responsible for officially dropping a course, cancelling registration, or withdrawing by the posted deadlines to avoid academic and/or financial consequences. All courses for which the student is enrolled shall remain as a part of the student's permanent record.
- For the posting of deadlines and refunds, click here.
- Means that you are dropping all courses before Winter Term begins.
- Cancellations may be processed via MyUM.
Single Course Drop:
- Means that you are registered for more than one course and are only dropping one course before the end of Schedule Adjustment.
- Single course drops may be processed via MyUM.
- Means that you are dropping all courses (even if registered just for one) between the first day and the last day of Winter Term.
- Withdrawal requests must be received in writing (see Schedule Adjustment below).
- A notation of withdrawn will post to your student record. If you are a current Maryland student, this has no effect on your enrollment status for the spring semester.
Single Course Drop with 'W':
- Means that you are registered for at least two courses within a single session and are dropping a single course after schedule adjustment.
- Requests must be received in writing (see Schedule Adjustment below).
- A notation of 'W' will post to your student record.
Schedule adjustments must be made by 4:30 p.m., January 4, 2013.
- For a complete list of Winter Term registration, cancellation, and withdrawal deadlines, refer to calendar & deadlines.
Requests for withdrawals or single course drop with ‘W’ between the last day of schedule adjustment and the last day of Winter Term must be received in writing (via mail, e-mail, fax, or in person). Send the request, containing student name and ID number to:
Office of Extended Studies
0132 Main Administration Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Record adjustment requests made on or after January 23, 2013 require a formal Exception to Academic Policy Appeal Request.
- Click here to access the appeal request form. Please note that there are strict deadline dates associated with submitting your appeal.
- All record adjustment requests will incur a $100.00 Record Adjustment fee. This includes all requests for registration and/or withdrawal.
Check with your home institution to ensure that the courses you take at the University of Maryland are transferable to your degree program.
Official University of Maryland Transcript
To request an official transcript, click here.