Law School Prep Workshops
Get prepared for law school! Designed for students and working professionals, these non-credit workshops are designed to give you a realistic overview of law school. From the nuts and bolts of the LSAT and application process to an overview of law school’s first year, you’ll emerge with a better understanding of what it takes to succeed and excel in law school and whether or not law school is the right decision for you.
EXST 150: Law School Boot Camp
The first year of law school is the most stressful and most important year for firm hiring prospects. Students cover the curriculum of eight courses that are taught in most ABA approved law schools in a stress free environment. This workshop series will help students:
- Learn how to provide sound legal analysis in research, writing, and oral advocacy.
- Learn how to prepare for exams;
- Learn key Latin terms and legal concepts; and
- Learn law school etiquette and ethics.
Meeting day and time: Mondays, 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM, January 28 – April 22
EXST 151: So You Think You Want To Be a Lawyer?
People tell you that you are a good debater and that you have sound analytical reasoning, but do you have what it takes to be an attorney? This workshop series will help students:
- Identify the best path from a legal education to a legal practice;
- Undergo legal practice simulation exercises so students can experience litigation and negotiation preparation;
- Meet attorneys in a variety of practice areas for insight into their practices; and
- Discover mentorship and pertinent information regarding internships, clerkships, clinic opportunities, and how to tap into hidden job markets; and
- Recognize alternative careers for individuals with a Juris Doctor.
Meeting day and time: Tuesdays, 6:30pm – 9:30pm, January 29 – April 23
All students, even current University of Maryland students, must complete and submit the workshop enrollment form. The $65 enrollment fee is waived for current University of Maryland students.
- Enrollment Form: click here.
Accepted students are notified via e-mail approximately ten days upon receipt of the completed enrollment form. Payment must accompany the form. Enrollment is limited and forms are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Enrollment deadline is January 20, 2013, 4:30 p.m. Incomplete enrollment forms will not be considered.
Cancellations received by January 20, 2013, 4:30 p.m. receive a 100% refund for the workshop fee. There are no refunds for cancellations received after this date. Requests for cancellation must be submitted in writing:Office of Extended Studies
0132 Main Administration Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Please note: The University reserves the right to cancel workshops due to insufficient enrollment or for other reasons it deems necessary.
- $897 Workshop Fee
- $65 Enrollment fee (Not applicable to current University of Maryland students.)
Deadlines (by 4:30 p.m.)
- Enrollment: January 20, 2013 (Payment must accompany enrollment form)
- Cancellation: January 20, 2013 (for 100% refund)
Notwithstanding any other provision of this or any other University publication, the University reserves the right to make changes in tuition, fees and other charges at any time such changes are deemed necessary by the University and the University System of Maryland Board of Regents. Although changes in tuition, fees, and charges ordinarily will be announced in advance, the University reserves the right to make such changes without prior announcement.
Many un-metered campus parking lots are unrestricted after 4:00 p.m. Students taking classes that begin after 4:30 p.m. generally do not need to purchase a parking permit. Paid parking lots, garages, and meters are available should you need to come to campus before 4:00 p.m. The University does have several restricted lots for which parking permits are required at all times. Pay careful attention to the signage to avoid parking tickets.
- • To purchase a parking permit, click here.