Advising & Plan of Study
New Student Advising
Newly provisionally-admitted SIE students have a mandatory advising block which prevents registration. Advising for SIE students is available by:
- SIE Advising & Information Session
- Date: November 14, 2013 - DUE TO ILLNESS, INFORMATION SESSION FOR THIS EVENING IS CANCELED!
- Time: 6 – 8 p.m. (session starts promptly at 6 p.m., please be on time).
- Location: Room 1208, Biology-Psychology Building
- Preparing for your first advising session with Dr. Presson, click here.
- For a preview of what will be discussed, click here.
- For a Campus Map, click here.
- By appointment
- Contact Linda Dalo: E-mail: email@example.com; Phone: 301-405-6892
HPAO Committee Letter and Application Support
Students who are planning to use the HPAO Committee Letter and Application Support process are strongly encouraged to attend two workshops the academic year they will apply. For example, if a student plans to apply June 2014 they should attend the two workshops Fall 2013 and Spring 2014. The two important workshops are:
- Are you ready? Fall semesters
- Navigating the application process. Spring semesters
The workshops are given several times each semester, with Saturday times to accommodate working students: http://prehealth.umd.edu/aboutus/workshops
The HPAO cannot work effectively with students who are not fully informed about the medical and dental school application process. SIE students who are planning their application process should attend both of these workshops.
The next Are you ready workshop for Fall 2013 is Tuesday, December 3, 3:00pm – 4:30pm in MMH 1304.
Current SIE Students
Dr. Presson is the academic advisor for all enrolled SIE students. Dr. Presson can advise students on course selection, preparation for MCAT, DAT and other professional and graduate school entrance exams, the application process for professional and graduate schools, and other academic issues. Advising appoints can be conducted in person or over the phone. To schedule an appointment with Dr. Presson call Linda Dalo at 301-405-6892. If Linda does not answer leave a clear message with your contact information.
Health Professional Advising for SIE Students
The Health Professions Advising Office, located in 1210 H.J. Patterson, provides health professional advising to all UM students interested in health related professional schools. SIE students should make use of the HPAO advising services after they have a well-established academic record here at UM, have met at least once with Dr. Presson, and are confident that they will follow through on their application process. Information about the HPAO and how to access their services can be found at www.prehealth.umd.edu. Please note that the HPAO does not advise students interested in Veterinary Medicine. Information about Vet Schools can be found at: http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/.
Plans of Study
SIE courses can be put together into a curriculum appropriate for science related professional or graduate schools. The exact courses you will take will depend on what career path you are interested in. The links below will take you to semester by semester plans for Medical, Dental, and Veterinary school. Preparation for the various Allied Health professions can be found on the HPAO website, www.prehealth.umd.edu. Preparation for graduate school or any other profession can be planned with advising help from Dr. Presson.
- Plan of study to prepare for MCAT and application to medical school.
- Please see the information in the Application to Medical School link for more detailed information on changes to the MCAT and medical school admissions requirements.
- Plan of study to prepare for DAT and application to dental school
- Plan of study [Coming Soon] to prepare for application to VET school