Registration, Online Learning, & Policies
To determine course offering, rubric, and section number for a particular term, click on Course Information. Permission is required to take more than 2 courses. To obtain permission, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click on www.my.umd.edu.
- Log in using your directory ID/password.
- Click on “Academics & Testudo.”
- Click on “Take me to Registration Drop/Add.”
- Enter course rubric and section (all online sections begin with PL).
- E.g., Course = CLFS620, Section PL01
- Once finished, click “Enter” and again "Enter". The second enter is to acknowledge that this is a non-standard section.
- Click “Sign Off”. Your class schedule will then be displayed.
To register for CLFS 608 or 608A: E-mail email@example.com with the following:
- The name of your mentor; and
- The number of credits for which you wish to register.
Offered through the convenience and flexibility of the online learning environment, this program has been specially crafted to offer high quality, interactive, instruction to busy professionals. Students experience enhanced faculty-to-student interaction through the latest in eLearning technology during times that are convenient to a student’s schedule. The program’s courses are asynchronous in that students will not be required to login at a specific time.
UM’s Online Environment--ELMS
ELMS (Enterprise Learning Management System) is the online environment that supports most online teaching and learning at the University of Maryland. ELMS provides access to static course content (e.g., syllabi, schedules, announcements, and lecture notes), as well as access to interactive tools (e.g., discussion groups, live chats, and online assessments).
Accessing Online Course
To determine how to get started, click here.
- The course instructor must first load the online course into ELMS. Usually this occurs no later than 24 hours prior to the course’s start date.
- Once the course is in ELMS, registered students have automatic access: click here.
- Only students who are registered and on the official class list can access the course.
- If you registered late, please note that it may take up to 24 hours for the system to add you into ELMS.
- If you were canceled for non-payment, you will lose access immediately.
Continuous Registration Policy
A student must register for courses (at least one credit) and pay associated tuition and fees each term until the degree is awarded. If the student does not register, he or she will be dismissed from the Graduate School at the end of the semester for failure to comply with the continuous registration requirement. The student must apply for readmission and pay the application fee. Readmission does not alter the initial requirements for time to complete the degree or advance to candidacy.
Students who will be away from the University for a semester or a year must request a waiver of continuous registration. A waiver is granted only if the student is making satisfactory progress toward the degree and can complete the degree requirements within the required time limits. Interruption of registration cannot be used to justify a time extension. A request for a waiver of registration should be filed 30 days before the beginning of the semester or year for which the waiver is sought.
- Click here to access a printable waiver of continuous registration form.
- Fax, e-mail, or mail the form to:
Office of Extended Studies
0132 Main Administration Building
University of Maryland
College Park, MD 20742
Leave of Absence
The Graduate School permits students to apply for a leave of absence of up to two semesters during which time they do not intend to make academic progress toward the completion of their degree. The time taken on an approved leave of absence is not included in the time limitations for degree completion and advancement to candidacy. For complete information, including application procedures and approved circumstances, visit: http://www.gradschool.umd.edu/catalog/registration_policies.htm#8.
Other Graduate School Policies and Procedures
In addition to the continuing registration and leave of absence policies, visit the Graduate School’s Web site for complete information: http://www.gradschool.umd.edu/catalog/
In addition to utilizing the University of Maryland Libraries on-campus, the Libraries extends a number of online resources and services through its Web site: www.lib.umd.edu/UMCP
For Access to Online Resources
- Visit http://www.lib.umd.edu/ click on Research Port.
- Select University of Maryland, College Park
- Enter your Directory ID/password.
- Library "Chat" Service: Online reference with librarians.
Course grades post to the student’s unofficial transcript and are not mailed.
- To view your grade, click here.
Students are sometimes required to provide semester enrollment verifications to health insurers or others that require proof of enrollment.
- To request enrollment verification: click here.