Freshmen Connection Orientation
We look forward to welcoming you to the University of Maryland as incoming freshmen! This mandatory orientation session provides you with an overview of Freshmen Connection and the University of Maryland. You’ll receive a copy of your Math Placement Exam results at orientation and advisors will discuss important academic rules and regulations that you’ll need to know when the fall semester begins. From 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., you’ll have the opportunity to meet various campus representatives, review academic aspects of this program, and meet other Freshmen Connection students.
Orientation Session Dates
- Friday, June 28
- Friday, July 19
- Wednesday, July 31
When enrolling in Freshmen Connection, you’ll select the date that best suits your schedule. Enrollment for the orientation session is on a first-come, first-served basis. Please rank your selections. Confirmation of your orientation date will be included in the confirmation e-mail sent to you once your enrollment has been processed.
What to Bring to Orientation
- Your confirmation e-mail will include a link to the Freshmen Connection orientation website where you can print out the following items: Information Packet; Freshmen Checklist; Parking Permit; Orientation Schedule
- Comfortable, casual clothing and walking shoes
- Notebook and pen/pencil
To Do Before the Fall Semester Begins
- Set up your University e-mail/directory ID
- Print out the documents you must bring with you to Orientation (see above)
- Get your University of Maryland photo ID
- Photo ID card service is available Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Student Services, 1st Floor Lobby, Mitchell Building.
- You must bring an official, state-issued, photo ID.
- Once you’ve received your confirmation e-mail and letter regarding enrollment in Freshmen Connection, you may obtain your photo ID. There will be no specified time during orientation to obtain your ID. You must have your ID prior to the first day of classes.
- Complete the University of Maryland Medical History & Immunization Record Form
- to submit a completed medical form to the University Health Center before the first day of fall 2013 classes will result in a registration block on your student record, preventing you from registering for the spring 2014 semester.
- Waive or Purchase the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
- Failure to waive the University’s Student Health Insurance Plan online prior to July 15, 2013 will result in your being enrolled in SHIP and the non-refundable premium will be billed to your student account.
- Complete AlcoholEDU
- Visit the AlcoholEDU Web site for details about this on-line mandatory program.
- Information will be sent to all Maryland freshmen via e-mail in July 2013.
- AlchoholEDU will be available on July 31, 2013 and Phase I must be completed by August 26, 2013 (Phase II must be completed by October 23, 2013).
- Complete the Faith and Religious Preference Form (Optional)
- This information is confidential and will only be used to inform you of opportunities and services related to your selected preference.