General Education Requirements
Course Information | Academic Advising | General Education | Math Placement Exam | AP/IB/Clep & Transfer Credits | Maryland Marching Band and Ensemble Repertoire Orchestra | ROTC | Changing Your Major | Textbooks
Many of the courses offered in Freshmen Connection fulfill General Education requirements. All Maryland undergraduate students must complete General Education requirements in addition to their major, department, and college requirements to earn an undergraduate degree. For complete information about General Education, click here. Many courses satisfy both major and General Education requirements.
- Click here for the list of Freshmen Connection General Education courses broken down by category. You should take courses from differing categories and areas.
- Click here to access a General Education worksheet to help you track your fulfilled requirements.
Freshman Year General Education Requirements
Two General Education requirements must be completed during a student’s freshman year. These include Academic Writing (AW) and Math (MA). These requirements must be completed during the fall or spring semester of a student’s freshman year.
Academic Writing (ENGL101)
- Students with a TWSE score (a subscore of the SAT verbal) below 33 must take ENGL101A, available in the spring semester.
- Students for whom English is a second language should take ENGL101X, available in the spring semester.
- You may transfer credit to satisfy the Academic Writing requirement:
- AP score of 4 or 5 on the English Language and Composition exam
- An equivalent course from a 2-Year or 4-Year institution. The Transfer Credit Center can provide you with information about course equivalencies.
Enrollment in a Math course is a three-step process: